The University provides vacation leave with pay for permanent staff employees, both full-time and part-time. Temporary employees are not eligible for vacation leave with pay. Amount Earned - A full-time permanent employee who is working or on paid leave for one-half or more of the regularly scheduled work days in the payroll reporting period earns vacation leave. The rate is based on the length of aggregate State service. Aggregate State service, for purposes of calculating vacation leave, includes all permanent employment on a month-for-month basis with any North Carolina Agency. Employment After 7/1/73 - Vacation leave for SPA employees appointed on or after July 1, 1973, is computed at the following rates:
|Years of Aggregate State Service||Hours Per Month||Hours Per Year||Days Per Year|
|Less than 2||9.3||112||14|
|2 but less than 5||9.3||112||14|
|5 but less than 10||11.3||136||17|
|10 but less than 15||13.3||160||20|
|15 but less than 20||15.3||184||23|
|20 years or more||17.3||208||26|
|Effective July 1, 2001, Tier II Senior Academic and Administrative Officers (SAAO) and EPA leave earning (non-faculty)employees earn a flat rate of 24 days per year. Individuals who are earning more than 24 days of annual leave as of June 30, 2001, may continue to earn leave at their current rate, up to the maximum of 26 days.|
Permanent Part-Time Employees
A part-time permanent employee who is employed on a continuing basis with a permanent part-time appointment in a budgeted position for as much as half-time earns vacation leave on a pro-rata basis if he or she works one-half or more of the scheduled workdays in a month. The leave is computed as a percentage of total amount earned by a full-time employee.
Vacation leave may be accumulated without any applicable maximum through December 31 of each calendar year. However, if the employee separates from service, payment for accumulated vacation leave will not exceed 240 hours. On December 31 of each year, any employee who has vacation leave in excess of the allowed accumulation (240 hours), shall have that leave converted to sick leave.
Advancing Vacation Leave
The department head may advance vacation leave not to exceed the amount the employee can earn during the current calendar year if the employee has aggregate State service of more than six (6) months. An employee may be advanced the amount of leave needed on an individual basis. The time taken should not exceed the amount of leave earned by the employee in the calendar year.
Uses of Vacation Leave
Vacation leave may be used for the following purposes:
- Medical appointments In lieu of sick leave after all sick leave is exhausted
- Absences as a result of adverse weather conditions
- To account for the hour that no work is performed when the time is changed from Eastern Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time. This applies only to those employees scheduled to work during this interval.
- Time lost for late reporting
- Absences for other personal reasons
- Donate leave to the Voluntary Shared Leave Program
- Annual Campus Security & Fire Safety Report
- ASU Employee Discount Program
- Employee Self Service
- Holiday Schedule
- Initial Notification of Injury Form
- UNC Salary Data & Protocol
- Former AppState Jobs Site for Employees and Supervisors
- Upgraded AppState Jobs Site for Employees and Supervisors
- ASU Policy Manual
- HR Payroll Authorization Deadlines