Non-Student Temporary Employment - SPA and EPA-NF
The following applies to SPA and EPA-NF Temporary Employees.
The Office of Human Resources (HR) will assist departments in filling temporary employment needs when the following circumstances occur:
- Temporary absences of regular employees due to vacation or leaves.
- During the recruitment of vacant positions.
- When additional help is needed during peak or seasonal time periods, and on special projects.
Where to Start
To initiate the temporary hiring process, hiring managers may contact HR-Employment for assistance in identifying specific skills and desired qualifications to help determine the appropriate need. HR will provide the hiring manager log in information to access the online temporary applications.
A successful Criminal Background Check is required prior to offering a candidate a temporary assignment.
The hiring department must ask the candidate to complete the Criminal Background Check Disclosure & Release form and submit to HR-Employment as soon as possible. Background Check results can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. All candidates must complete an online application to be considered for employment.
Please Note: A 31-day break in service is required after 12 consecutive months of temporary employment. Please review Length of Employment information below.
Decision to Hire (Step-by-Step Process)
Once the hiring department has decided on a candidate for hire, the department must complete and submit the Temporary Employment Authorization Form SPA and EPA-NF (pdf - 76KB) to HR.
Please note that the form must contain the appropriate signatures along with the following information:
- Indicate whether the authorization is for a new employee or a renewal
- Indicate whether computer access is needed
- Employee full name
- Last four (4) digits of the Social Security Number
- Home Department name
- Home Department Org number (represents the hiring department)
- Check Distribution number (represents the department to which the employee’s check is delivered)
- Time Sheet Org number (department responsible for the employee’s time sheet)
- Budget Code – FOAP (Fund, Org, Account, Program)
- Period of time to be employed (cannot be employed for more than one (1) year without a 31 day break in service)
- Hourly Rate of Pay must be equitable and have a direct correlation to the level of work
- Give a brief description of work
- Submit the authorization form to the Office of Human Resources through the following channels (in order):
- Department Head
- Vice Chancellor
Please note: These signatures confirm availability of funds and approval to hire a temporary employee. Temporary employee should not start employment until all approvals are obtained.
Completion of New Hire Forms
The new employee must complete the new hire paperwork View New Employee forms, including the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) (pdf - 157.67KB) (which must be completed in person) to ensure that they receive a paycheck, a parking permit, and an email address in a timely manner.. These forms may be completed in the Office of Human Resources or by the hiring department and received in the Office of Human Resources within three (3) days of employment.
Entrance into Banner System
Once all paperwork has been received in HR the new employee will be entered into the Banner payroll system and a Banner number will be issued. A copy of the authorization, with all signatures obtained, will be faxed to payroll and a copy mailed back to the hiring department.
Length of Employment
Temporary employees cannot work more than 12 months for the University. Individuals must be terminated after 12 months of employment and cannot be rehired by the University, in any department, for at least 31 calendar days. A Separation Notice (pdf - 271KB) must be completed at the end of each 31 day period and a new authorization must be received before the employee is re-hired. A separation notice must also be submitted as soon as the Temporary Employee leaves employment for any reason, either voluntary or involuntary. A new Non-Student Temporary Authorization must be approved before the employee is re-hired. A new Criminal Background Check is not required as long as the temporary employee has been employed within the past year.
Temporary employees are paid bi-weekly, (on the 15th and the last working day of the month), on an hourly basis and are required to document their hours.
All paychecks will be sent to the department, unless the employee chooses to participate in the Direct Deposit program (pdf - 593KB).
For additional information regarding temporary employment, please contact Nancy Crowell, firstname.lastname@example.org, at (828) 262-6520.