The Office of Human Resources provides services to support hiring managers in recruitment and employment activities for Staff (SPA-Subject to the State Personnel Act) and Temporary Employment needs. We strive to attract diverse and highly qualified candidates, and assist managers in the recruitment and selection process that results in hiring individuals who will contribute to the achievement of the University's mission.
SPA Recruitment Resources
- Merit Based Recruitment & Selection Plan
- Vacancy Posting Information:
- Hiring Manager submits request to post a vacancy via the AppState Jobs Hiring Manager Site.
- Hiring Manager can determine if vacancy should be posted internally to ASU Only or NC State Permanent Employees Only OR if it should be posted externally.
- All postings must be posted a minimum of 5 business days.
- HR will periodically screen applications and refer qualified applicants to the department during the posting period. It is important that the Hiring Manager does not contact or schedule interviews until after the deadline of the posting and the Hiring Manager has had the opportunity to review and evaluate all referred applicants to ensure fairness and equal opportunity to all referred applicants. The Hiring Manager will receive an email from HR confirming once all qualified applicants have been referred to the department.
- AppState Jobs Hiring Manager Site
- Procedures for AppState Jobs for the Employment of SPA Staff Employees & Checklist (PDF)
- AsU Learn Merit Based Recruitment & Selection Course, Quiz and User Guides *Log-in for access
- Employment Forms (For Supervisors)
- Priority Considerations (PDF)
- Retirement Systems Violation Review and Penalty Procedures (PDF)
- Fair Employment Interviewing
- Pre-Employment Testing:
- Administer tests and other selection procedures that do not violate federal anti-discrimination laws (Title VII, ADA, and ADEA)
- "Test Validation" – Tests must be directly job related and consistent with business necessity; and its results appropriate for the position's purpose
- Must be appropriately administered and scored under pre-determined standardized conditions
- UGESP provides detailed guidance for test validation
- Tests or tools administered in the selection process must have prior HR approval. Failure to do so will prohibit test results to be used in the selection process
- Reference Checking Tips
- Sample Non-Selection Letters
- Criminal Background Check
- Non-Student Temporary Procedures
- Register for Training