Vacation Bonus Leave
Bonus Leave Amount and Eligibility
The General Assembly provided bonus leave as follows:
|Amount of Leave||Effective Date||Eligibility|
|80 Hours||September 30, 2002||All employees except:
|80 Hours||July 1, 2003||All employees except:
|40 Hours||September 1, 2005||
All employees except:
Provisions for Part-time and Leave Without Out Pay Employees
- Full-time employees who work less than 12 months shall receive a pro rata amount.
- Permanent part-time employees (half-time or more) shall receive a pro rata amount.
- Employees on leave without pay, other than workers’ compensation leave and leave for reserve active duty, shall be credited with the bonus leave upon their return based on their type of appointment at the time of leave without pay. If they do not return, they are not eligible for the leave.
- Employees on workers’ compensation leave and leave for reserve active duty shall be credited with bonus leave for use upon their return to work. If the employee does not return, the bonus leave shall be paid in addition to any other leave, in accordance with the leave policies.
Scheduling Bonus Leave
- Bonus leave shall be taken only upon appropriate authorization.
- Bonus leave may be used for any purpose for which regular vacation leave is used.
- Bonus leave shall be charged in units of time consistent with regular vacation leave guidelines.
- The employee shall determine whether to charge approved leave to regular vacation leave or bonus leave.
Accounting for the Vacation Bonus
- Bonus leave shall be accounted for separately from regular earned vacation leave.
- Any balance of bonus leave on December 31 will be retained by the employee and transferred into the next calendar year. It will not be as part of the maximum 240 hours of vacation that can be retained.
- Bonus leave will not be subject to conversion to sick leave.
- Any balance of bonus leave will be transferred with the employee who transfers to another State agency eligible for bonus leave.
Separation/ Status Change
- Bonus leave balance will be paid in addition to regular vacation leave if the employee leaves state government or changes to a non-leave earning status.
- Bonus leave may be applied to negative balances of regular earned leave with the approval of the employee and the agency head (or designee).
- Bonus leave is available to be donated as vacation leave under the Voluntary Shared Leave provisions.
- Agencies shall maintain records of bonus leave.