Temporary Employment - Prospective or Current Temporary Employees
Prospective Temporary Employee
Note - Supervisors needing to hire a temporary will need to visit this page.
The role of a temporary employee is critical to the day-to-day operation of the university and also provides valuable hands-on experience. Temporary staff fills in during peak or seasonal time periods, and on special projects. Needs can vary from part-time to full-time hours; and appointments can be short term or up to twelve (12) months. A temporary employee cannot work more than 12 consecutive months and must take a 31-day break in service before being reemployed. Temporary employment assignments can be part-time or full-time. The types of temporary employment include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative Support - reception, secretarial, accounting, word processing
- Professional Support – legal, event planning, fundraising, writing/editing, illustrating, engineering
- Technical – research, lab support
- Information Technology – web design and site maintenance, programming, development, training
- Trades – painting, plumbing, electrical work, carpentry, mechanical, electrical, carpentry
- Services – general labor, housekeeping, food service, landscaping
How to Search Postings and Apply
An online application is required for entry into Postings and/or Temp Pool Postings. The application process is straight-forward. If you're seeking temporary employment, visit www.jobs.appstate.edu and view Temporary Postings and apply to the posting(s) that interest you. For assistance with your application contact our Office of Human Resources at (828) 262-3186 or e-mail email@example.com.
Applications will remain "active" in the Temporary Pool(s) for up to three (3) months. Applicants MUST reapply after three (3) months if still interested in temporary employment.
Important Information for Temporary Employees
As a temporary employee, you are an important member of the AppState team. Your role is critical to the day-to-day operation of the University. Please take time to review the important information below.
Guidelines and Procedures for Temporary Employee:
- Temporary Employee's Responsibilities:
- Online Application,
- Submit a Background Check Disclosure & Release form directly to the Office of Human Resources (if applicable) in a timely manner,
- Complete and submit to the Office of Human Resources New Hire Paperwork no later than the first day of employment. The I-9 Employment Eligibility form must be completed in the Office of Human Resources with the appropriate forms of identification,
- Perform duties in a satisfactory manner,
- Use of University property, equipment, phones, and vehicles must be work-related and authorized,
- Follow supervisory instructions,
- Restrict personal business to a minimum while at work, and
- Maintain accurate time sheets and records.
- All ASU employees should attend New Employee Orientation
- Temporary Employees do not receive leave, total state service credit, retirement credit, severance pay, or priority reemployment consideration. Due to the Affordable Care Act, temporary employees may qualify for health insurance.
- Temporary Employees are designated "at will" and your employment assignment may be terminated at any time at the discretion of the department.
- All Temporary employees must take a 31 day Break-in-Service after one year of continuous employment. There are no exceptions.
- All new hire paperwork must be completed by the first day of employment and submitted to the Office of Human Resources.
For further information contact the Office of Human Resources at (828) 262-3186 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.